Uploading your Shopify customer data to Google Ads is a powerful tool in allowing you to remarket existing buyers. If you know your customers will purchase from you again, setting up a Display Remarketing campaign or Smart Display campaign will generate that extra sales opportunity.
Why waste your initial customer acquisition efforts when you can get another sale.
Step 1 – Export Customer List
Export your customer list by going to your Shopify Admin page.
- Click on Customers
- Click on Export in the top right corner
- From the pop up choose all customers
- Click on Export Customers
- An email will be sent to you with the file
Step 2 – Modifying The File
Open the file you have received in your email address and delete the following columns.
- Address 1
- Address 2
- Province Code
- Accepts Marketing
- Total Spent
- Total Orders
- Tax Exempt
Essentially we want to keep the following
- First Name
- Last Name
- Country Code
In the header (the first row) rename the column name County Code to Country
Save your file as CSV.
Step 2 – Uploading The File In Google Ads
Log in to your Google Ads account and navigate to:
- Tools And Settings
- Audience Manager
- Click on the blue plus button and choose Customer List from the options.
- Provide an Audience Name (anything that helps you recognize the file)
- Leave the option Upload Emails, Phones, and/or Mailing Address
- Leave the settings Upload plain text data (unhashed)
- Choose your file you just modified
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Upload and Create List
- Within 24 hours your list will be available in the Audience Manager section
Now you know how to upload a new list, I also have an aricle explaining how to update an existing list.
Alternatively, you can also use an app to update your customer lists.
Does this break any privacy laws that I should be aware of?
You must ensure you follow your local laws when collecting customer data. If you have done so legitimately, then there is no issue uploading the data to Google.