The data feed needed to be improved, as there were lots of missing variant attributes, inaccurate product identifiers, images with policy violations and default titles. This needed to be improved, so I connected the clients Shopify account to my FeedArmy data feed management tool and fixed all these issues, using rules and manual editing.
The second task was to change the shopping strategy. The setup for the old campaigns was to bid the same regardless of the search term. I changed this to an advanced setup where we can bid based on the type of search term. Lowering bids for generic search terms, medium to high bids for relevant and medium bids for branded search terms. As the client is the manufacturer, I did not want to bid high for branded terms. This setup resulted in the ROAS to increase to 500% and a sales volume of 150 per month. While the goal was to increase ROAS, I also nearly doubled the sales volume.
The client already had text ads enabled and was self-managing this. With the success of the shopping campaign, I took over the whole account. At this stage, the overall sales volume was 204 with a ROAS of 428%. After implementing much-needed improvements, such as ad extensions, rewriting the ads, adding targeting, removing poor performing ones, I increased the sales volume to 470 with a ROAS of 718%. While the ROAS target was 500%, the extra positive return of investment is from brand awareness.