What are custom goods?
A custom good is a product that you have made yourself, in other words, not mass-produced. This can be a painting, crafts, clothing, or any other handmade product.
Do I need to submit a GTIN?
In this situation, no, alongside GTIN you should also not fill in the brand and MPN. But you do require to submit identifier_exists to no. So the quickest way to check if you need to add the value GTIN to Google Shopping is by checking the product’s packaging. Does it have a bar code? If the answer is yes, then you need to fill in all product identifiers. Else set identifier exists to no.
As of June 2021 certain categories and or countries require barcodes to be submitted, regardless if you have any. In this case you need to get official GS1 barcodes.
Which products require a GTIN?
An easier way of listing the required products is to list the ones that do not need one.
- Do not require a GTIN :
- Custom Goods (Hand made goods or antique)
- Books (Books published after 1970 requires a IBAN)
- Mass produced clothing (requires a Brand name only)
- Custom Clothing (Hand made / unique clothing)
With apparel goods, you are required a GTIN on products inside the following categories.
- ‘Apparel & Accessories > Shoes’
- ‘Apparel & Accessories > Clothing Accessories > Sunglasses’
- ‘Apparel & Accessories > Handbags, Wallets & Cases > Handbags’
- ‘Apparel & Accessories > Jewelry > Watches’
- All other products categorized inside Apparel do not require a GTIN, MPN or Brand unless the manufacturer has submitted this data.
All other products not mentioned above require at least two of the three required fields (Brand, GTIN, or MPN).